Monday, December 7, 2015

Bokeh Christmas Cards

Winter is my favorite time of the year.  I know many of you don't share my enthusiasm for below freezing temperatures but I LOVE IT!

I am honored to present this month's Technique Challenge for Club Scrap.  So while I was playing doing research on Pinterest for winter cards, I came across the Bokeh Technique.  Thoughts of falling snow came to my mind. What's great about this technique is it can be used for any background.  While compiling my Christmas card list, I found I still needed a few more handmade cards.  After whipping up these gorgeous card backgrounds I was able to use some embellishments that have been neglected. 
 
Start with your background mat.  Here I experiments with different techniques using ink (sponging and direct ink pad to paper), Color Bursts and Pan Pastels.  The Pan Pastels worked better for the soft look I was going for.  I haven't quite gotten the sponging technique down yet.  I still leave circles from the sponges.

Cover the entire surface with your medium.

Stamp your background image.  I chose the evergreen branch from Club Scrap Retreat 2002.
Stamp multiple times to get close up and distant images.  Heat set to dry. 
 
Now you can punch out several circles sizes (any shape actually) from paper or plastic to use as a stencil.
I chose to use the Club Scrap Holiday Ornament stencil.  Why duplicate something I already have?
Use white ink to stencil circles randomly on your paper. 


Heat set images again to keep from smearing. 
You're left with a beautiful background to embellish as you wish. 

I happen to love the look of jewels in the center of the circles.
 Moroccan Spice ribbon, Watercolor Christmas greeting.

Moroccan Spice ribbon, Club Scrap 2012 Holiday Wow greetings.

 Club Scrap Groovy Christmas greeting, K&Co. flowers.

 Club Scrap 2014 Gnome Christmas greeting, Celebrate it! snowflakes.

Celebrate it! title and stars. 

I now challenge you to grab your inks, Pan Pastels or Color Bursts and create spectacular backgrounds using the bokeh technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment